What is 5.4 p2 ?

Paul Dufresne dufresnep at fastmail.fm
Sun Jun 12 06:16:41 GMT 2005

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:46:51 -1000, "Robert Marella"
<rmarella at gmail.com> said:
> Paul Dufresne wrote:
> >>and more curious. I updated one of my systems to 5.4 p2 today
> >

> > Being a newcomer to FreeBSD, I understand about Release version,
> > STABLE version and CURRENT one. But I don't understand this
> > p2 you are refering to.
> > I could guess it means point release 2, so I checked:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/where.html
> > But files seems to be for 5.4-RELEASe still from May 8.
> >
> > So what is 5.4 p2 ?
> >

> robert at p4:~> uname -a
> FreeBSD p4.konav201.local 5.4-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p2 #1: Fri
> Jun 10 11:45:43 HST 2005
> root at p4.konav201.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/P4-5_4REL  i386
>
> It is my understanding that the p# stands for the second patch to 5.4
> Release. Correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Robert

Hum, let me reformulate this in my own words, to see if I
understand. You are running 5-STABLE, and this is the second
time 5-STABLE was generated from RELENG_5 branch since 5.4
was released.
(I did looked at http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html
to write this)

Ok, fine, I was thinking that maybe there was some kind
of 5.4.2 release, but no, there will be no official release
to 5.4 until 5.5.