Trackball and graphics tablet recommendations

Jon Mercer jon.mercer at achean.com
Sat Jun 11 01:00:21 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 19:05 -0500, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:57:56 +0100 (BST)
> "Jon Mercer" <jon.mercer at achean.com> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, June 10, 2005 12:14, Mario Hoerich said:
> > > # Vulpes Velox:
> > >
> > > [ graphics tablet and FreeBSD? ]
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > USB tablets won't work, I think (see
> > > <URL:http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/all>).

> > > I've googled quite extensively for that a while back and came up
> > > with pretty much nothing (except for some posters whose questions
> > > about tablets remained unanswered).
> > >
> > > I'd actually love to be proved wrong here. ;)
>
> I remember doing the same several months back. From what I remember
> finding is that it was fixed in netbsd. No clue if it ever got copied
> over.
>
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mario
> > > --
> > >  "Für Gegner der Reform wird ein Wagen, der an die Wand gefahren
> > >   wurde, nicht dadurch wieder flott, dass man zwei seiner Räder
> > >   für intakt erklärt."
> > >            -- Hermann Unterstöger, SZ, über die Rechtschraipreform
> > >

> > Well I've done a bit of research now and decided on a Logitech
> > Optical Trackman and given up on the idea of a tablet, the serial
> > ones cost around £400 and that's too much for the use it'd get.
> > Shame, I'd have enjoyed a new toy...
>
> See if you can find a old Acecad Acecat Flair. It is serial but works
> pretty decent.y

I'll keep an eye out. Shame about the Wacom USB ones (albeit they're not
cheap), they look pretty good. A case of the more you see the more you
want...

On a really positive note I have to retrain myself to use a scroll wheel
with the trackman optical cordless now I got it working. I'm still going
to the right every time I want to move down.

In fact the documentation or getting odd rodents working under X is not
well documented in the handbook. Anyone wanna take me up on that in the
doc list?

Jon

PS. Not actually subscribed to the doc list.