system cloning

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Jun 10 23:16:44 GMT 2005

> You expect too much of my RAID controller. :) Ghost won't do it because:
>
> 1.  There is only room for 3 drives in the system.  RAID5 requires 3
> drives.
>
> 2.  Ghost deals in partitions.  FreeBSD (usually) has one partition with
> many slices.

Small, but important quibble if you are doing FreeBSD stuff.

 FreeBSd (usually) has one _slice_ with many _partitions_.

What MS tries to call a primary partition is a slice in FreeBSD - created
with fdisk.   Then slices may be divided in to partitions which, after
being newfs-ed can be mounted as filesystems.

////jerry