Outsourcing a modem pool for dialup? Any advice?

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Fri Jun 10 15:02:19 GMT 2005

Bell Canada can sell you *virtual* dial up ports, and provide you with a
realm (@domain.com). They handle all the dial-up connections for you,
and they handle all the bandwidth as well (on exception of the data that
crosses into your data centre from the clients devices).

All you need is a FBSD box running FreeRADIUS, as when the user dials
in, they will only pass a RADIUS request to you, and your RADIUS server
will allow/deny the login attempt.

They have flexible plans as your needs grow. If you move, it still
doesn't matter. Everything is on their end, on exception of your RADIUS
server. So if you move, you inform them of the new IP for your RAD
server, they redirect the requests for your realm to the new IP and
voila, back in business again.

So, technically, you can go cross border or wherever. The changes are
minimal, and since you control the CPE equipment, you can prepare for
changes in your data storage server (or cluster) IP address(es) on your
client equipment any time.

Saves you from having to handle changes, as well as takes the headache
of managing RAS equipment off your shoulders.

For instance, this is how AOL Canada provides country wide service,
without having a single equipment room in the country. It's all
virtually done, through the big Telco's, and the data simply flows via
TCP/IP to their servers/equipment in the US.

Steve