Recovering from a late "make installworld" failure?

Juha Saarinen juhasaarinen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 04:02:52 GMT 2005

On 6/10/05, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> This usually only causes problems when you also are trying to upgrade
> across major revisions (e.g. FreeBSD 4.x -> 5.x).  Did you do this by
> accident?

No, it's a RELENG-5 box that was freshly cvsup'ed this morning (NZ
time) and which I had upgraded several times before from source since
the original 5.2.1 installation -- I was able to "cheat" and not boot
into single mode for installworld before actually.

For the benefit of the list archive, booting into single mode didn't
help. Just about every single binary segfaults, including /bin/sh.

Never seen that happen before.

--

Juha