Initial install of FreeBSD and adding additional hardware

Dmitry Mityugov dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 19:23:46 GMT 2005

On 6/9/05, Joel Arakaki <jmarakaki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying out FreeBSD on a side computer that I eventually want to
> use as a small home server.  I was planning on purchasing a PCI SATA
> adapter card and an SATA drive, to complement the hard drive already
> inside the computer.  My question is: should I wait until the
> additional hardware is purchased and installed before installing and
> setting up FreeBSD, or would it be okay for me to install and setup
> FreeBSD and then add on the additional hardware later?
>
> Thanks!

I believe it should be ok to add the hardware later, but it certainly
is better to be sure it is compatible with FreeBSD before ordering it,
or at least to buy it with money-back warranty. You can find some
useful (but not absolutely complete) info about hardware compatibility
there: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/hardware.html

--
Dmitry

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"