Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jun 9 08:46:08 GMT 2005

Frantisek Rysanek wrote:

>Thanks a lot to Mr. Zbyslaw.

You're welcome.

>A local friend has suggested to increase the block size to
>newfs, or something along those lines - essentially to
>decrease the FS overhead and the size of the "blockmap".
>I haven't tried that but I guess it sounds reasonable
>- may make sense on machines where you just can't get
>enough RAM or are not willing to grant it all to a single
>process.

It ought also make sense if you are serving up *large* files (didn't you
say video/audio?).  I'm planning to do some tests at some point to see
what difference different block/fragment sizes make to performance, but
haven't found the time yet.  I don't have anything on your scale (23Gb
of document database pales into insignificance against 12Tb :-) ) but I
haven't found any specific numbers anywhere.

If you're interested, check out the -b and -f options to newfs.  The
defaults are 16k/2k.  Decreasing the number of inodes would definitely
make sense (see -i).  The -N option ought to show you what would happen
without actually doing anything.

--Alex