Editing the boot menu

José de Paula Rodrigues espinafre at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 20:43:26 GMT 2005

On 6/8/05, Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu> wrote:
> --On Wednesday, June 08, 2005 16:29:22 -0300 José de Paula Rodrigues
> <espinafre at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 6/8/05, Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu> wrote:
> >> When you use FreeBSD's boot manager, you get a menu like this at bootup:
> >>
> >> F1 DOS
> >> F2 FreeBSD
> >> F3 Linux
> >> F4 ??
> >> F5 Drive 1
> >>
> >> Default: F2
> >>
> >> Is there a way to edit the list?  Or is that fixed when boot manager is
> >> installed and not configurable?
> >>
> >> By edit, I mean, for example, change F4 ?? to F4 MyOS.
> >>

> > man boot0cfg
> >
> I *thought* it would go without saying that I had already read man boot0cfg.
>
> Obviously, I missed the part where you edit the menu.  Wanna give me a hint?

I'm really sorry I underestimated you, I misunderstood your question
in the first place.

>From what I gather, these labels come straight from /boot/boot0, not
from boot0cfg. Looking at the boot0 source code (found at
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.S), you can see that the OS options
are hard-coded into the boot0 program, so there is no way to edit that
other than by changing the source code and recompiling.

Did you try using Grub instead? It now supports UFS2, and is a great
bootloader, with lots of features. You can find it in your ports tree.