12TB GEOM stripe, newfs, then fsck: cannot alloc 768053748 bytes for blockmap

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Jun 8 15:01:12 GMT 2005

Frantisek Rysanek wrote:

>I thought "fsck" would be a plausible benchmarking tool.
>
>-bash-2.05b# fsck_ufs /dev/stripe/data
>** /dev/stripe/data
>cannot alloc 768053748 bytes for blockmap
>
>***** FILE SYSTEM MARKED DIRTY *****
>
>After a forced mount, the 12TB volume works fine. It just
>can't be fsck'ed.

Do you have MAXDSIZ set in your kernel?  And what about any limits?

e.g. I have options         MAXDSIZ=(1024UL*1024*1024)
and "limit memoryuse unlimited"

which is all my 1Gb  physical memory.  The default is a mere 512Mb.  You
might need users to be limited to a bit less, but I don't have any of
them :-)

--Alex