Azureus Update Problem

Tony Shadwick tshadwick at goinet.com
Wed Jun 8 03:24:57 GMT 2005

What I suspect is happening is that you're running as a user with
decreased priveleges, but you have a global install of azureus (installed
in /usr/local/bin).

Azureus is probably presuming you have the rights needed to do the update,
and never bothers to check or ask otherwise. :\

If there *is* an update to azureus, I'd check to see if it is in ports,
and just portupgrade it from there.  If not...hmm.  Perhaps run Azureus
once with increased priveleges, or if it is not something you're exposing
to the world and it's a single user box, then just run that one app with
elevated priveleges all the time (ie, instead of running the binary
directly, run it "sudo /usr/local/bin/azureus").

I'd be interested to see what others think.  I run Az on my mac here, but
I've always had enough rights to do the online updates.