df -h output

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Jun 7 21:12:17 GMT 2005

> Hi all,
>
> Have a query re the above
>
> /dev/ad2s1      75G     68G    1.5G    98%    /data-one
> /dev/ad3s1      74G     66G    2.3G    97%    /data-two
>
> As you can see, I have two data drives in this system, but I do not
> understand and not really noticed before the sizes.
>
> 'Used' states 66GB, with 2.3GB remaining on /data-two, this does not
> match 'total' which says 74GB.
>
> Is anyone able to explain this for me? It's probably something sensible,
> but thought this list would be best to ask!!

This is asked so often in this list that it should become part of
the header or footer notes.    You need to learn to check the FAQ
and the handbook and do a little searching.

Anyway, read the two FAQs starting at:

 www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#MANUFACTURER-DISK-SIZ

While you are at it, also check out:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#DU-VS-DF

because I am sure that will come up soon too.

////jerry