1280x800 display, i810, 915, etc etc etc

Ben Paley ben at spooty.net
Tue Jun 7 14:29:52 GMT 2005

Hello,

I'm running 5.4 on my shiny new dell inspiron 6000 - there are a few things
yet to sort out, and one of them is X. Amazing. In winxp it runs at 1280x800,
16bit (I think, or 24? can't remember off-hand, i'd be happy with 8 for the
moment!). And it seems I need the i810 Generic driver from xorg.

At the moment, I'm working with no xorg.conf at all! I get 800x600, not sure
of colour depth. But I really want / need to take advantage of the full
screen resolution. I understand I should set things up to run 915resolution
on boot, to teach the vbios about 1280x800. But I've yet make or find an
xorg.conf that even gives me a display.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Thanks,
Ben