link in handbook appears to be broken

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at InsightBB.com
Tue Jun 7 01:23:28 GMT 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 02:58 pm, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Yes, use DAO.  But the software should know that since it's an ISO to
> do that automatically.  An ISO image on a multisession CD would be
> senseless, of course.  An ISO image needs to be written and the CD
> closed in a single session.
>
> Ted

I have two physical systems and I have mobile racks in them.  I can pull out
freeBSD 4.11 and insert freeBSD 5.4.  I have discovered that I can write to
the 4x-12x media when using freeBSD 5.4.  I don't even have to use DAO (SAO)
mode, I can use TAO.

I have freeBSD 4.11 set up the same as 5.4 as far as I can.  I have atapicam,
and the scsi bus and devices mentioned in the handbook.  cd0 is reported when
I boot, but 4.11 doesn't have devfs, so it's not a usable device. But
cdrecord is using dev=1,0,0 anyway.  After I write it with cdrecord, I try to
mount it and I get an i/o error reported. When I use cdrecord blank=all,
cdrecord reports errors indicating the media format is corrupt.  Perhaps the
write operation didn't complete under 4.11 but it does under 5.4?

Anyway to determine what happened?
I don't believe that devfs is available under 4.11, but I really don't believe
that's the culprit. Any ideas?