KDE apps

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Jun 6 18:34:13 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 11:51:06AM -0600, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:11:38AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > Run a window manager (fvwm2?) ;-)
> > >
> > > The needed (kde) libs always need to be installed though.
> > >

> > 	I'm still using ctwm; it was just up-rev'd to v 3.7
> > 	so it's not totally dead!  in my opinion, ctwm can be
> > 	hand-tweaked to any degree.  Re kde, I think I have
> > 	everything installed to run it as another user.
> > 	This is installed: /var/db/pkg/kdelibs-3.4.0_2  and
> > 	the Gnome tools run.  KDE, nope.
> >
> > 	(?)
> >
> > 	gary
>
> One thing I have found about attempting to run KDE apps when using
> another wm is that KDE apps will usually launch up several other KDE
> related processes (kdeinit, etc.) that eat up a lot of memory.  I once
> just renamed kdeinit to something like kdeinit.off so that I could use
> ther tabbed X terminal program called konsole.  konsole gave some errors
> on launch, but otherwise mostly worked, though some functionality was
> working.  In short, it seemed to me that if one is going to run a bunch
> of KDE apps they are probably best off to just run KDE wm, too.
>
> Nathan

	konsole is another KDE app that I like since it allows me
	more flexibility that std xterm.  Given my druthers, I would
	use Gnome over KDE -- if I had only those choices.  I suppose
	it boils down to one's preference of basically CLI or GUI.

	thanks!

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix