What do this wired dmesg mean ?

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at ub.edu.bz
Mon Jun 6 18:00:29 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 09:43:58PM -0800, Supote Lee wrote:
> Hi list,
>
>   I have a box for apache webserver and running fine for
> years. Today I've just found the kernel message below:

Well, do you have any devices on the secondary IDE controller?  If so,
it would appear that they are failing to respond to the systems attempts
at identifying them.  Maybe the devices are faulty, or maybe there is
something wrong with the cable or possibly even the controller.

I don't know much about the 3com related errors, but my basic
understanding is that the xl0 driver went to send data, but found the
cards buffer empty when it expected to find data there ready to
transmit, so perhaps it is attempting to wait for a little more data to
fill the buffer before attempting to send.  My guess is that there is
something not quite right with the card.

Nathan