Question about booting with the NT booter.

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Jun 6 15:49:45 GMT 2005

On 2005-06-06 01:19, Artur Soares <arturpsoares at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am one afraid guy with this on his machine:
> Disk 1 (master): 40GB - Windows XP (NTFS) on the first 10GB, FAT32 for
> storage to the rest.
> Disk 2 (slave): 80GB - FreeBSD 5.4 on the first 50 GB, FAT32 for storage
> to the rest.
>
> Both are at the same IDE controller (disk 1 is ad0, disk 2 is ad1)
>
> I have (mis)installed the BSD boot manager to the ad1, which, since is
> master, is being bipassed at the start, and windows is starting his
> usual business. So I have no glimpse whatsoever of FreeBSD when I boot,
> but takeing a peek via PartitionMagic, it is there. Also, I was
> succesfull at all steps of the installation.
>
> I would like to know how to (step-by-step, talking to a noob here) enter
> BSD, get the boot0 file and copy it into C: as if you were talking to a
> 5 year old boy you just met on the street.

Hi Artur,

General questions about FreeBSD should be posted to the freebsd-questions
mailing list, not doc at freebsd.org.  I've already redirected this reply to
that list.

Having said that, the following is probably what you need to do:

1.	Boot into FreeBSD

2.	Install the boot0 boot manager to ad1:

	# boot0cfg -v /dev/ad1

3.	Copy the installed boot manager to a file:

	# cd /tmp
	# dd if=/dev/ad1 of=/tmp/boot0.bin bs=512 count=1

4.	Transfer the boot0.bin file to the Windows partition, by copying
	it to the FAT32 partition of ad0.

	# mount_msdosfs /dev/ad1s2 /mnt
	# cp /tmp/boot0.bin /mnt
	# sync ; umount /mnt

5.	Reboot and start Windows XP

6.	Copy the boot0.bin file to C:\boot0.bin

7.	Configure Windows Explorer to show ALL the files (i.e. not to
	hide system files)

8.	Remove the "read only" attribute of the C:\boot.ini file by
	right-clicking it and tweaking its properties.

9.	Edit C:\boot.ini (with Notepad) and add a line with the location
	of the boot0.bin file:

		C:\boot0.bin="FreeBSD"

10.	Set the read-only attribute of boot.ini again

That should be all there is to it.