link in handbook appears to be broken

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Jun 5 22:48:07 GMT 2005

What you see is what you get - the error "MEDIUM ERROR" seems pretty
clear to me - it means that the CD you burned isn't readable.  What
are you after - a masters thesis spewed out for every little error?
That would bloat the code.

FreeBSD tells you there's an error it's your job to find out why
there is one.

Since as you said in your other posting you are making good CD's at
low-speed burn, and frizbees at high speed burn, there is a good chance
you
are underrunning the buffer in the burner.  Get a faster CPU or live with
lower speed burns.

UNIX is a preemptive operating system.  That means that during your CD
burn, if something else goes on in the system by some other process,
then your burning process gets paused.  If the burner you are using has
a very small internal buffer than it will run out of data and you will
produce a frisbee.

WinXP by contrast lets apps like Roxio basically halt the OS while
your doing some time-critical operation.  That's fine for a single-user
OS but pretty stupid for a server what has lots of people using it
all the time.  That is why people don't use WinXP for servers.

You cna try playing with the nice command and your cd burns and see if
you can make any difference.

Ted