FreeBSD 5.4 & Xwindows

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Sun Jun 5 12:57:43 GMT 2005

On 06/05/05 10:40 AM, Robert Slade sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 03:04, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > On 06/04/05 10:01 PM, Louis LeBlanc sat at the `puter and typed:
> > > On 06/04/05 07:06 PM, Robert Slade sat at the `puter and typed:

> > > You might find some useful info in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.ati
> > >
> > > One notable paragraph from this doc:
> > >
> > > The newer Rage 128 and Radeon chips are not yet supported by this
> > > driver.  Rage 128's and Radeon's are, however, supported by separate
> > > drivers, and owners of such adapters should consult the documentation
> > > provided with these drivers.  This driver will also invoke the
> > > appropriate driver if it finds Rage 128 and/or Radeon adapter(s) in
> > > the system.
> > >
> > > Good luck
> >
> > BTW, as mentioned by another poster, you probably need the RADEON
> > driver.  Check the manpage (RADEON(4x)) - it does mention several 9200
> > models.
> >
> > Lou
>
> Lou,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Please see my previous post. I suspect that the card is one of the later
> non supported chip sets. It looks like it uses 2 busids one for the main
> card and the 2nd for the some of the memory - probably a fudge to get
> the memory up to 128Meg. I this that this is confusing the RADEON
> driver.
>
> I can't afford the time to mess about with it any further time for a new
> card I think.

Maybe you could give the exact model?  Is it an IGP, Pro, SE, M9?
What about the config you used for the card?  What do you get in the
Xorg.log? (any warnings, errors?).  And what is the Screen config in
your xorg.conf?

Don't forget to check the following config details:
           VideoRam - in kilobytes
           MemBase  - physical address of the linear framebuffer
           IOBase   - physical address of the MMIO registers
           ChipID   - PCI DEVICE ID

Remember, that says the VideoRam spec is in kilobytes, not meg and not
bytes.  If you have a specified VideoRam value, try commenting it out.
If not, try 131072.

You might also find reference to the card in /var/log/messages,
typically it will give a memory range in hex, but it should give you
the model you need to configure it as.

If you are set on a new card, the ATI cards are usually excellent
(I've used them in the past), but if you want to stick to something
you can get native drivers for, I highly recommend the NVidia cards.
Check the /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver port to make sure the driver
there covers the cards you're looking at.  I'm using an FX 5200 right
now, and I'm sure they come with up to 256M of VideoRam.

Once again, good luck.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Heavier than air flying machines are impossible.
    -- Lord Kelvin, President, Royal Society, c. 1895