5.4 Installation

robertst at speakeasy.net robertst at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 3 21:41:01 GMT 2005

I am a FreeBSD newbie and have some questions about installation.  I installed the 5.4 version from CD and selected the “User and X Windows” (or something like it) installation.  I also selected “yes” for installing all of the packages.

The packages installation copied about 25MB of data to the disk instead of the 300MB that it said it was going to.  Is that what it’s supposed to do?  It looks like not all of the packages were copied, specifically Netatalk (which is on the second CD).  How do I get it to copy the rest of the packages?

Also, it looked like it copied the X.org files but never went through the X setup.  Is this what it is supposed to do?

I have a working text-based FreeBSD system, but I would like to get the Netatalk package installed and also get the X windows system up and running.

Please help!!

Thanks!

Robert