squid rc startup

Mark Gulbrandsen thelifecycle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:36:48 GMT 2005

On 6/2/05, Hexren <me at hexren.net> wrote:
> > I cannot get squid to startup automatically, and I'm lost. I've looked
> > in the handbook and google'd this: Nothing is working.
>
> > /etc/rc.conf does have squid_enable="yes".
>
> > I can start squid manualy using
>
> > /usr/local/etc/rc.d/squid.sh start
>
> > Can someone give me a clue?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Mark

> Really shooting in the dark here.
>
> Is the default configuration file /usr/local/etc/squid/squid.conf
> readable by the squid user ?
>
> And is /usr/local/squid/logs (that is a dir) there ?
>
> Does /var/log/messages (or $dmesg) have anything squid related after
> boot up ?
>
> Regards
> Hexren

I should've provided more information. It was late and I was half
asleep. Sorry. Here it is:

yoda# ll /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
total 2
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1299 Apr  3 19:19 squid.sh
yoda#
yoda# cat /etc/rc.conf

# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Mon May 30 09:01:59 2005
# Created: Mon May 30 09:01:59 2005
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
gateway_enable="YES"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
pf_enable="YES"
pf_rules="/etc/pf.conf"
pf_flags=""
pflog_enable="YES"
pflog_logfile="/var/log/pflog"
pflog_flags=""
ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.71.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
hostname="yoda.sigcode.com"
squid_enable="yes"

yoda# uname -a
FreeBSD yoda.sigcode.com 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Sun May
8 10:21:06 UTC 2005
root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
yoda#

I am able to start it manually and use it. For example, I am using it
right now to access my gmail.com webmail account, but it didn't start
automatically at boot; I had to start it manually. Therefore, it is
configured correctly and works. It just won't start automatically on
boot.

If squid_enable="YES" (mind the case), then it won't start manually either.

Can anyone help me force squid to start on boot like sshd does?

Regards,

Mark