ppp filling /var

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:12:57 GMT 2005

On Thursday 02 June 2005 05:06,  the author James contributed to the dialogue
on-
 Re: ppp filling /var:

>On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:52 am, Vizion wrote:
>> On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:47,  the author James contributed to the
>> dialogue on-
>>
>>  ppp filling /var:
>> >After ppp runs for a few days:
>> >
>> ># df
>> >Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>> >/dev/ad0s1a   126M    49M    67M    42%    /
>> >/dev/ad0s1f   252M    18K   232M     0%    /tmp
>> >/dev/ad0s1g   8.1G   1.1G   6.4G    15%    /usr
>> >/dev/ad0s1e   252M   252M -20.0M   109%    /var <----!!!
>> >procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
>> >
>> ># du -h /var
>> >... snip ...
>> >12M    /var
>> >
>> >After killing ppp:
>> >
>> ># df
>> >Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>> >/dev/ad0s1a   126M    49M    67M    42%    /
>> >/dev/ad0s1f   252M    18K   232M     0%    /tmp
>> >/dev/ad0s1g   8.1G   1.1G   6.4G    15%    /usr
>> >/dev/ad0s1e   252M    12M   219M     6%    /var <----
>> >procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
>> >
>> ># du -h /var
>> >... snip ...
>> >12M    /var
>> >
>> >Anyone know how to fix this? Google was no help.
>> >
>> >note: this is not a problem with /var/log/* filling up, as du will show,
>> > or any file written to disk... its *something* else
>> >
>> >Full output of du -h
>> ># du -h /var
>> >2.0K    /var/account
>> >2.0K    /var/at/jobs
>> >2.0K    /var/at/spool
>> >6.0K    /var/at
>> >10.0K   /var/backups
>> >4.0K    /var/crash
>> >2.0K    /var/cron/tabs
>> >4.0K    /var/cron
>> >2.0K    /var/db/ipf
>> > ... snip ...  (/var/db/pkg/*)
>> >2.2M    /var/db/pkg
>> >4.0K    /var/db/ports/gettext
>> >6.0K    /var/db/ports
>> > 28K    /var/db/portaudit
>> >474K    /var/db/tripwire/report
>> >6.5M    /var/db/tripwire
>> >9.8M    /var/db
>> >2.0K    /var/empty
>> >2.0K    /var/heimdal
>> >1.7M    /var/log
>> >8.0K    /var/mail
>> >4.0K    /var/msgs
>> >2.0K    /var/preserve
>> >2.0K    /var/run/ppp
>> > 94K    /var/run
>> >2.0K    /var/rwho
>> >2.0K    /var/spool/lock
>> >2.0K    /var/spool/lpd
>> >2.0K    /var/spool/mqueue
>> >2.0K    /var/spool/opielocks
>> >2.0K    /var/spool/output/lpd
>> >4.0K    /var/spool/output
>> >2.0K    /var/spool/uucp/.Preserve
>> >2.0K    /var/spool/uucp/.Sequence
>> >2.0K    /var/spool/uucp/.Status
>> >2.0K    /var/spool/uucp/.Temp
>> >2.0K    /var/spool/uucp/.Xqtdir
>> > 12K    /var/spool/uucp
>> >2.0K    /var/spool/uucppublic
>> >4.0K    /var/spool/clientmqueue
>> > 32K    /var/spool
> [...]

I do not know how to calculate the amount of space that ppp uses in var (or
even in what way) but am pretty sure the autoconfig would not do the
caluculations either. You probably need to get some help from someone
experienced in using ppp in this way

David

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.