can't figure out ssh, read lots of docs...

Rick Preston rickjpreston at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 22:44:08 GMT 2005

I just want to add a little about allowing root login over ssh and
using common user names as login names if I may.  I just left an admin
job where we were running a live server and I used to read the log
files everyday.  The number of brute force attempts to login in to
sshd was staggering sometimes over 700 attempts in a day from many
different locations.(usually script kiddies)  I had the only user
account so it wasn't my users making mistakes.  90%+ of the attempts
were for the root account.  The other 10% were for common names like
steven, rick, and paul the list goes on.

So I would recommend that you keep root login disabled and don't use
common names for login names.  Most people where setting up scripts to
block the offending attacker.

Not to mention every security document or site I have ever read has
said "Don't allow remote root login"

Thanks for letting me spew,
Rick