postgrey question

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Jun 1 10:33:29 PDT 2005

Bart Silverstrim <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > Bart Silverstrim <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I've been looking into ways of improving our spam filtering.
> >> Currently
> >> I'm running postfix with amavisd-new (spamassassin and clamav), and
> >> saw
> >> an article on greylisting using postgrey.  Turns out there's a port
> >> for
> >> it already in FreeBSD.
> >>
> >> I am still googling for info, but as I understand it the policy will
> >> inject the message to another queue for postgrey to evaluate?  If this
> >> is true, what happens if I install it while still running the
> >> postfix/amavis solution, which is also a double-queue system for
> >> evaluation of messages?  Will doing a make install for postgrey damage
> >> the installation we currently have in place and working?
> >>
> >> Anyone else running postgrey with amavis on postfix, on FreeBSD?  I'd
> >> appreciate any feedback/experiences people have to offer.
> >
> > Yes, I'm running Postgrey with Amavis on FreeBSD.  Works great.
> >
> > The short answer is that Postgrey plays nice with Amavis.
> >
> > The medium-length answer is that Postgrey simply becomes another check
> > that is run.  Postfix has a "policy service" hook that allows Postfix
> > to consult with an outside program prior to accepting mail.  This is
> > a different process than the multi-queue system that Amavis uses, and
> > the two co-exist nicely.  Postgrey works more like the rbl checks than
> > the multi-queue system that Amavis uses.
> >
> > The long answer is contained in the technical details of Postfix, and
> > the Postfix source code, and I won't attempt to duplicate that here ;)
>
> Are there instructions you know of for the installation to get postgrey
> to integrate with postfix from ports on FreeBSD?  (Huh?)
>
> Um...let's rephrase.  Is there a reference of what needs to be done
> after running "make install" in the postgrey port directory to get
> postfix to see it and use it, preferably without killing the working
> amavisd?

You'll need to put the following in /etc/rc.conf:
postgrey_enable="YES"
as specified by the port, and enter a line like:
check_policy_service 172.0.0.1:10023
in /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf (please check the Postgrey docs, I'm pulling
this from memory and I'm not 100% sure it's exactly right).

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies