System Panics and Core Dump help

Denny White dennyboy at cableone.net
Wed Jun 1 00:26:11 PDT 2005

Just trying to get a heads up if I'm going about
this in the right way, if I've understood what
I've read and applied, outlined below.
I read an article at Onlamp on how to prepare
for system panics and core dumps. Article here:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/03/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html?page=2

After rebuilding my kernel with the

options			KDB
options			DDB
makeoptions		DEBUG=-g

I copied kernel.debug to /var/crash/kernel.debug.date for
future use. I added the following below to /etc/rc.conf, leaving
the dump directory at its default /var/crash in /etc/defaults/rc.conf:

dumpdev="/dev/amrd0s1b" (this is my swap partition)
savecore_flags="-z"     (added flag for compression)

Now, in /var/log/messages, I get:

savecore: unable to open bounds file, using 0
savecore: no dumps found

Am I right in assuming that the system's doing exactly what
it's supposed to do? That is, checking for a dump when booting,
not finding any, reporting as much, and proceeding booting as
usual? I assumed that, even though the message is a bit
misleading to a relative newbie like myself, after reading the
following at another web site:

PROBLEMS AND REMEDIES

No Dump Was Saved
Cause:

The system may have shut down successfully.
Remedy:

No dump is expected. Core dumps are only
created for abnormal shutdowns.

Thanks for any help, advice and clarification.