SOLVED: scanimage -L doesn't work as normal user

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at math.ku.dk
Sun Jul 31 11:51:54 GMT 2005

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> Please submit a PR with these both lines.

will do - I didn't do that straight away because I saw no
functional difference.

And then there is the other unresolved problem that
sane-find-scanner no longer identifies the scanner:

# sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0121) at /dev/uscanner0

while scanimage does:

# scanimage -L
device `snapscan:/dev/uscanner0' is a EPSON EPSON Scanner flatbed scanner

So, I guess my patches are not fully right.

> > I don't know if there is any benefit from using the uscanner
> > device other than the ability to set permissions for the scanner
> > only.
>
> Using uscanner(4) is "the FreeBSD way", ugen(4) is for USB devices
> without specific driver.
>
> You have to use uscanner(4), period :)

OK, you win :) I let the alternative solution stand for those who
don't like messing with their source code and don't want to wait
for the patch to be adopted - after all it works even if it's non
FreeBSDish.

Cheers - and thanks for your advice, Erik

GnuPG: http://www.locolomo.org/home/norgaard/norgaard.gpg.asc
pub  1024D/11D11F9E 2003-08-15 Erik Norgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org>
     Key fingerprint = C394 81C4 D137 EEE5 39BE  82D5 3E6B FB3E 11D1 1F9E