FreeBSD Active Directory Server

Daniel Marsh daniel at stiw.org
Sun Jul 31 03:24:07 GMT 2005

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:03:56 +0800, <martin at orbweavers.co.uk> wrote:

> Has anyone any experience trying to make FreeBSD an Active Directory
> Server? From my research and experiementation, I am under the impression
> that it is possible, but I have yet to come up with any articles where it
> has actual been done fully.
>
> At the minute I have samba and ldap setup, the active directory dns
> entries in (_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.{domain}). I am getting an error message
> when trying to join my XP client to the domain - I think it is to do with
> the ldap server. Any clues or points in the right direction would be
> helpful - I am getting the impression that this may be a big project, if
> it is even achieveable.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Samba has experimental components which support ADS, but not fully. See
http://www.samba.org/ and the Official Samba Howto.

In my experience it isn't currently capable to have FreeBSD run as a fully
functioning ADS server.

If you absolutely need ADS you may simply need to have a Windows server.

If you need Windows Domain logons and ACLs etc... Samba+LDAP works
beautifully, I have this implemented at my work, the only reference I
needed was the Official Samba Howto. Using LDAP Account Manager also helps
:) There are no problems with machines connecting to the domains, or
domain logons, user profiles, or ACL's.

Daniel