dhclient and wpa_supplicant

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Sat Jul 30 18:17:04 GMT 2005

Sam Leffler wrote:

>> Brooks fixed a bunch of bugs in dhclient and I just committed an
>> important fix to wpa_supplicant to work right when wireless cards are
>> ejected (previously it would loop).
>>
>> I also tested that dhclient does the right thing for roaming between
>> ap's--switching causes dhclient to immediately collect a new lease.
>>
>> I just ran tests with wpa_supplicant and found that it does appear to
>> handle open ap's properly.
>>
>> Everything except the wpa_supplicant changes have been MFC'd to
>> RELENG_6 for the 6.0RC2 build that's going to happen soon (I'm hoping
>> to get re to approve the wpa_supplicant changes).
>

> FWIW I just MFC'd the wpa_supplicant fix.
>

>> So the question is what are the outstanding issues with dhclient and
>> wpa_supplicant?  I'm mostly concerned with wireless devices but feel
>> free to talk about wired interfaces too.  If something doesn't work
>> right please try to give steps to reproduce the problem.  Otherwise
>> please provide detailed info include ifconfig output.  Remember that
>> dhclient logs info to /var/log/messages and you should also see link
>> state change msgs there too.
>

> s/6.0RC2/6.0BETA2/.
>
>     Sam

Hello,

I am very interested in getting wpa_supplicant & dhclient to work.
Presently it does not work for me the way I would hope it would.

I would think that if it were setup properly on my machine I could turn
the machine on at home, and have it associate with my AP and then
acquire a lease.  Then I could shut it down... go to the office... turn
it on and then have it associate with the AP there and acquire a lease.

However it does not seem to do this.  It seems to only want to associate
  with the last AP it ever associated with.  I then have to down the
interface and manually ifconfig it.

I am fairly sure I do not have things setup properly, since others have
had much better results.  Can you please point me to the most current
docs or a "How To" to push me in the right direction.

I have RELENG_6 as of last night.  I have appended some conf files to
the bottom for your review.

Thanks,

rc.conf contains
===========================
network_interfaces="lo0 bfe0 ath0"
ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP"
ifconfig_bfe0="DHCP"

dhclient.conf contains
===========================
interface "ath0" {
   #send option host-name "myhost";
   #send option domain-name "nxdomain.org";
   send dhcp-client-identifier "myhost";

   media
   "ssid <home_ssid> mode 11b channel 11 wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey
0x<home_wepkey>",
   ### Office
   "ssid <office_ssid mode 11b channel 6 wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey
0x<office_wepkey>";

   request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name-servers,
domain-name;
}

wpa_supplicant.conf
=============================