Bind failures

Matthew tragek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 03:28:47 GMT 2005

Recently I aquired a wireless card, and sometime during the setup I
believe I borked something. Nothing seems to be able to bind to a
port. During start up each time I see an error like :
"Starting syslogd.
Jul 28 18:13:31  syslogd: bind: Can't assign requested address
Jul 28 18:13:31  syslogd: bind: Can't assign requested address
syslogd:
child pid 279 exited with return code 1
Starting snmpd.
Starting snmptrapd.
Jul 28 18:13:39 snmptrapd[490]: Starting snmptrapd 5.2.1
Jul 28 18:13:39 snmptrapd[490]: couldn't open udp:162 -- errno 49 ("Can't assign
 requested address")
"

Any other program that wants to bind to an adress (Instiki, kismet
etc.) cannot. And yet, aside from these errors, for the most part the
system seems to be operating mostly normally.

Anyone have any idea of what's going on, and  a way to fix it? The
closest references I have found to this problem so far refer me to
check my /etc/hosts and /etc/netstart files. But, as far as I know,
they are still intact.

--
Matthew