need some advice

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 28 23:01:13 GMT 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, dick hoogendijk wrote:

> I have the chance to buy a new computer. It will take a long time before
> I can do this again.
>
> My options are:
>
> Athlon64-3000+ (Newcastle) on a MSI K8T NEO-FSR board (1Gb 3200 mem)
> Athlon64-3400+ (Clawhammer on the same board
>
> Intel Prescott 3.4Mhz on a Intel 915p board (1024 Mb DDRII pc4300
> memory)
>
> Is there much difference between the athlon3000/3400 ??
> Will the intel platform have (dis)advantages ?
>
> I will run FreebSD on it (compile a lot of ports) and (windows-xp/98se)
> for gaming.
>
> Price is important. I.e. buying the athlon3000 gives me the opportunity
> to buy something else, BUT if the speed of the 3400+ is much better, I
> can buy that "other stuff" later.. if you see what I mean. I just want a
> machine that last a litthle longer...
>
> I.e. the intel MB has a PCIe grahics slot. How important is that (or
> not). I will buy a Geforce-6600GT videocard (offer most for less
> money..)
>
> Any advice is welcome.
>
> --
> dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
> ++ Running FreeBSD 4.11-stable ++ FreeBSD 5.4
> + Nai tiruvantel ar vayuvantel i Valar tielyanna nu vilja

Wha?!?! Win98?!?! are you insane? The only thing I could see justifying
that would be playing PSX games with bleem (since it was only supported on
98), and that's it. Not only that, 98 wasn't built with today's hardware,
so all in all it will be EXCEPTIONALLY slow performance wise. Heh. I
remember running win98 on a faster P3 and the fact that it was so horribly
slow.
-Garrett