make buildworld fails in openssl/colldef [SOLVED]

Marius Korsmo marius at korsmo.org
Thu Jul 28 13:36:09 GMT 2005

Quoting Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52 at dial.pipex.com>:

> Marius Korsmo wrote:
>
>> It took two weeks to fix this problem, and therefore I do have a few
>> questions.
>>
>> The error turned out to be in err.h. The file located in /usr/include was
>> totally different from the one located in /usr/src/include.
>>
>> < /*-
>> <  * Copyright (c) 1993
>> <  *The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
>> ---
>>
>>> /* crypto/err/err.h */
>>> /* Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Eric Young (eay at cryptsoft.com)
>>> * All rights reserved.
>>>

>> You can see the entire diff at http://pastebin.com/322918
>>
>> My question is: I deleted /usr/src, and I cvsup'ed everything. When
>> I do a make
>> buildworld, why does not the new err.h get copied from /usr/src/include to
>> /usr/include? This would have solved my problem two weeks ago :)
>>
> build = recompile things
> install = put them where they belong in the filesystem
>
> buildworld doesn't install the file because it's not supposed to.
>
>> Does err.h get copied only when you do a make installworld?
>>
> I would expect so.  Why don't you try it?
>
>> Another question, why on earth did I have an old version of err.h? I
>> was running
>> 5.4 RELEASE, and it was installed from an ISO downloaded at FreeBSD.org
>>
> That does not look like an *old* version, it looks like a completely
> different file.  Did you install anything not from ports that might
> have overwritten it?  Did you try and install a port into a target
> hierarchy that /usr/local?  (The same copyright header as the real
> 5.4 one exists in err.h from 4.11).
>
> Operating system bugs are rare compared to user errors, I'm afraid.
>
> --Alex

As far as I can remember, I have not installed anything that didn't come from
the ports collection. I have only used the ports, and always installed them to
the default directory.

I did not mean that this was a OS bug, and it would be really strange
if it was
since I can't find any other person that has had the same problem. There must
be an application that overwrote my err.h. I've tried to provoke this error
again, but I can't. I tried to install all the ports on another server
(until i
ran out of space), but the error did not occur. But with that said,
there was 20
ports I didn't have enough space to install, so the problem might lie there.

I might be the problem as well, maybe I did something I shouldn't have
done. But
I can't really see what that should be :) Anyway, the solution is here and I
hope it can help other people that end up with the same problem (if that ever
happens).

Marius