make buildworld fails in openssl/colldef [SOLVED]

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jul 28 09:00:28 GMT 2005

Marius Korsmo wrote:

>It took two weeks to fix this problem, and therefore I do have a few questions.
>
>The error turned out to be in err.h. The file located in /usr/include was
>totally different from the one located in /usr/src/include.
>
>< /*-
><  * Copyright (c) 1993
><  *The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
>---
>

>>/* crypto/err/err.h */
>>/* Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Eric Young (eay at cryptsoft.com)
>> * All rights reserved.
>>

>You can see the entire diff at http://pastebin.com/322918
>
>My question is: I deleted /usr/src, and I cvsup'ed everything. When I do a make
>buildworld, why does not the new err.h get copied from /usr/src/include to
>/usr/include? This would have solved my problem two weeks ago :)

build = recompile things
install = put them where they belong in the filesystem

buildworld doesn't install the file because it's not supposed to.

>Does err.h get copied only when you do a make installworld?

I would expect so.  Why don't you try it?

>Another question, why on earth did I have an old version of err.h? I was running
>5.4 RELEASE, and it was installed from an ISO downloaded at FreeBSD.org

That does not look like an *old* version, it looks like a completely
different file.  Did you install anything not from ports that might have
overwritten it?  Did you try and install a port into a target hierarchy
that /usr/local?  (The same copyright header as the real 5.4 one exists
in err.h from 4.11).

Operating system bugs are rare compared to user errors, I'm afraid.

--Alex