FreeBSD 6

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 23:46:09 GMT 2005

On 26 Jul 2005 16:46:39 -0400, Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> FreeBSD 6 (which hasn't been released yet, and will change a bit more
> before it is) is still very cutting edge.  I would *strongly*
> recommend that you follow the -CURRENT mailing list if you're going to
> use it.
>
> Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, and not sure.

> With a default kernel?  Try updating your sources again.

I can try it again and post the error

> See the -CURRENT list archives.  It's gotten fairly stable for a lot
> of people, and performs better in a number of cases, but it still
> causes trouble in some others.

What kind of troubles are we talking about? also I see that preemption
is now on by default. I have been running preemption on a 5.x box of a
long time now, no problems.

> Search for messages about that.  SOS@ has discussed it quite a bit, if
> I recall correctly.
>
> > > One more thing... Will FreeBSD 5.4 kernel modules work under 6.x?

Yes I just found that out when I tried to load the Highpoint RAID
driver on FreeBSD 6, the system panics very early in the boot process.
This means that FreeBSD 6 is completely out of the question for this
system and I really did not want to run 6.x anyways, I'm migrating a
production 5.4 server to this new hardware.

What is SOS@? and where can I read the discussions about sata RAID
problems? I seem to have two options for this server:
(1) Get the ICH5R / Adaptec HostRAID working with 5.4 (as device ar0, ad4 + ad6)
(2) Find a (cheap) SATA RAID 1 card that is supported by the ar / ata
device in 5.4.

The problem with (2) is that I can't find any cheap (less then $60
USD) SATA RAID 1 cards that will work with device ar. I'm going to
post this problem to a new thread.

> > Sorry! a few more things:
> >
> > At boot up I get these errors / warnings:
> > "kenv: unable to get dumpdev"
>
> Try setting dumpdev?
>
> > "no such user: _dhcp, falling back to "nobody""
> >
> > I left groups and master.passwd files to deal with later in
> > mergemaster and then I manually added the dhcp user to both of those
> > files but the system still can't find him.
>
> You rebuilt the password database, right?  You know you can't just
> open up the password file and edit it?

No I did not, how do I regenerate the database? normally I use pw or
vipw when I change that stuff and I've never been asked by mergemaster
to change those files.

Also with mergemaster it seemed like 50% of the 100 or so files that
where changed where just changes to the cvs doc revision /
timestamp... wouldn't it be better to install those files by default
instead of asking the user?

> > "Starting default moused: moused: unable to open /dev/ums0: Device busy"
> >
> > I don't know whats up with that but my mouse does work.
>
> And if you disable moused?

Not sure, I installed it on one of my home systems and I'm at work.

Thanks.