ETINC BW Manager. Watchdog failover not working

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Tue Jul 26 13:21:29 GMT 2005

At 04:10 AM 7/26/2005, John Oxley wrote:
>I have installed the ETINC BW Shaper software v3.24c and things aren't
>working. The problem I am having is if I try and run watchdogd, I get
>this:
>
>root at pluto:/sys/conf# watchdogd failover -i 7 -d
>IOCTL: Invalid argument
>Checking every 2 seconds
>enabling WDT
>IOCTL: Invalid argument
>enable_wdt:: Invalid argument
>
>Below is a detailed explanation of what I have done.
>
>I am using the ETINC BW Manager on a FreeBSD 4.11 system.  Here is my
>uname -a
>FreeBSD pluto 4.11-RELEASE-p11 FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p11 #15: Tue Jul 26
>11:25:09 CAT 2005 sysjo at pluto:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Pluto  i386
>
>The machine is a:
>CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2093.22-MHz 686-class CPU)
>with SCSI hard drives, an onboard fxp and onboard em NICs, and I have
>bought a
>http://www.etinc.com/product_info.php?products_id=32
>for the actual shaping.
>
>The BW software I am using is v3.24c.
>
>I have followed the install docs, not quite to the letter, because I had
>to modify the /sys/conf/files from what they said to get the kernel to
>compile.  These are my modifications:
>
>    #net/if_ethersubr.c    optional ether
>    net/if_etherbwmgr.c    optional ether
>    net/if_etherbwmgr.c    optional bw
>
>I am not meant to put the last line there, but if I don't the kernel
>compile complains that it can't find the bw device.

I downloaded their driver, and compiled a new kernel without error.

Here's what I did:

# cd ~glenn
# ftp ftp://ftp.etinc.com/pub/freebsd/freebsd411_bwmgr.tgz
# gzip -d freebsd411_bwmgr.tgz
# tar xf freebsd411_bwmgr.tar
# cd usr/hdlc/dev
# cp if_etherbwmgr.c /sys/net
# cd /sys/net
# emacs files
         (added net/if_etherbwmgr.c    optional ether)
         (commented net/if_ethersubr.c
# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
# GENERIC test
# emacs test
         (added options HW_WDOG)
         (added options PPP_DEFLATE)
# cd /usr/src
# make KERNCONF=test buildkernel

I don't have one of their cards, so I can't test it, but it did compile
properly.

What were the errors you saw that prompted you to add the extra line to
/sys/net/files ?

>I have built the kernel (with my modifications) and the module etbwmgr
>loads successfully:
>Jul 26 12:50:33 pluto /kernel: ET/BWMGR Driver v3.24c

Neither module would load.  It fails with undefined symbols. (deflateInit_
for etbwmgr.ko and em_read_ctlext for etbypass.ko)

This looks like the module they supply isn't really compatible with 4.11.

-Glenn