Samba without Cups ?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Jul 26 08:34:59 GMT 2005

Joerg Pulz wrote:

> tha package build defaults to build with cups printing support. so if
> you use the package, you will always get cups installed as a dependency.
> if you want to entirely remove this dependency you have to build this
> port from source.and you need to run "make config" in the ports
> directory and should deslect the CUPS option.

A little exploration of the Makefiles shows this to be false. :-(

In net/samba you have

> .if !defined(WITHOUT_CUPS)
> WITH_CUPS=      yes
> .endif

and

> .if defined(WITH_CUPS)
> LIB_DEPENDS+=   cups.2:${PORTSDIR}/print/cups-base
> CONFIGURE_ENV+= CPPFLAGS=-I${LOCALBASE}/include \
>                 LDFLAGS=-L${LOCALBASE}/lib
> .else
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --disable-cups
> .endif

and in net/samba3 you have:

> OPTIONS+=       CUPS            "With CUPS printing support" on \

and

> .if defined(WITH_CUPS)
> LIB_DEPENDS+=   cups.2:${PORTSDIR}/print/cups-base
> CONFIGURE_ENV+= CPPFLAGS=-I${LOCALBASE}/include \
>                 LDFLAGS=-L${LOCALBASE}/lib
> .else
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --disable-cups
> .endif

So for samba, you just need to make with WITHOUT_CUPS=1 and samba 3 with
WITH_CUPS=0, either on the make line or through pkgtools.conf (portupgrade).

CUPS support is *not* required for samba to support Unix printing unless
you need CUPS to support your printer for whatever reason.

--Alex