How to create mtree files?

freebsd-questions at auscert.org.au freebsd-questions at auscert.org.au
Tue Jul 26 00:52:27 GMT 2005

> freebsd-questions at auscert.org.au writes:
>
> > I would like to use the mtree utility to confirm no changes have
> > occurred to system files since 'make installworld', similar to that
> > possible with 'mtree -f /cdrom/5.4-RELEASE/base/base.mtree' on a
> > release installation. This would also give the added advantage of
> > being able to determine the current buildlevel of an installed
> > system, I believe.  Is it possible/easy to create new mtree files
> > after the buildworld or installworld process? I've looked at the
> > Release Engineering docs but it seems more than what I'd like to
> > do. I should add that I am running tripwire, but I really want to
> > have a quick way to verify which files were part of which installworld.
>
> "man 8 mtree" has full details.
>
> "mtree -c -p /" is the start of what you're looking for.

Thanks - I misinterpreted what the '-c' flag does, but after running your
example it all makes sense now.

To wrap this up for me, is mtree the way to maintain a record of at what
level a particular build was performed? In other words, using 'uname -a'
tells me when the kernel was built, but what best tells me when
/usr/bin/telnet was patched and built and against what source?

cheers,
-- Joel Hatton --
Security Analyst                    | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
AusCERT - Australia's national CERT | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
The University of Queensland        | WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
Qld 4072 Australia                  | Email:   auscert at auscert.org.au