Reverting Ports 5.4 -> 5.3

Robert Slade bsd at bathnetworks.com
Sun Jul 24 10:58:49 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 10:26, Björn König wrote:
> Robert Slade wrote:
>
> > As I have been having problems with 5.4 on my Compaq Pl5000, I would
> > like to go back to 5.3-Stable. Is it possible to roll back the ports via
> > CVSUP to 5.3 by just changing the TAG=.
>
> There are not much reasons to use an old version of the ports. Do you
> have a specific problem?
>
> By the way, most likely you mean that you want to go back to
> 5.3-RELEASE. The operating system whose "uname -r" shows "5.3-STABLE" is
> one of thousands states between November 2004 and May 2005.
>
> Björn

Thank you for the reply.

My problem is that the machine worked fine with 5.3. The Machine is Qad
processor 1 Gb ram with hardware raid with 5 drives set as 2 Raid arrays
and 1 spare.

I did a CVSup to RELENG_5. I rebuilt world and the kernel. Here the
problems started. On booting it could not find any hard drives. It tried
to boot the correct drive, but failed. At the mountroot prompt the ?
option only lists the CD and FD. As far as I can tell it is a problem
with GEOM trying to take over the raid. I can boot using kernel.old.
>From the 5.4 release notes GEOM is mandatory for 5.4.

As I do not have the expertise to fix this and I would rather have a
working system, I would like to role back to 5.3 as this worked. I
assume that if I did a CVSup with TAG=5.3 this should get me back to
5.3_stable. I am not convinced though. Is this correct?

Rob