making dvd from videos. (- hey you're lucky!)

nawcom nawcom at nawcom.no-ip.com
Sun Jul 24 03:47:05 GMT 2005

heres a script for converting your classic codec based avi file to a VOB
file for burning onto a DVD. i didnt test the program out, but i did
check to make sure it's freebsd compatible. and luckly all of the needed
programs are in /usr/ports/multimedia. You're lucky!
http://inferno.slug.org/cgi-bin/wiki?AviToVob
it looks like it does the following:
 -1. use mencoder to pull the video out of its container format or codec,
 -2. use mplayer to extract the audio channels into a separate file
 -3. converts the audio into an MP2 file
 -4. use transcode to convert the new avi into a VCD/SVCD compliant m2v file
 -5.  use mplex to group the m2v and mp2 file to a full working mpg
 -6.  use dvdauthor to make a legit folder containing the video file,
title info, etc. im sure you can modify it to your needs.
 -7. use mkisofs to create an iso file out of the folder
 -8. use dvdrecord to burn the fucker.

8 steps in one shell script. not that bad huh. i may bookmark this page
for future use.
-Ben