Syntax for fdisk?

Ima Camper ima_camper at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 18:19:03 GMT 2005

While trying to solve another problem, a suggested fix
was to issue the following command:

bsdlabel -B da0s1a

But now when I boot, I get this output:

--- BEGIN ---
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

Manual root filesystem specification:
<fstype>
                       eg. ufs:da0s1a
  ?                  List valid disk boot devices
  <empty line>       Abort manual input

mountroot>
--- END ---

da0 is my boot disk and contains /.  However when I
configured the disk using sysinstall during
installation, I set it up as "dangerously dedicated".
Now I wonder if my problem is that I should have used
"bsdlabel -B /dev/da0" instead of "da0s1a" when
attempting to install boot blocks?

After reading the Handbook section on booting, it
seems to me that the bootstrap code is fine because
the system boots all the way up until it tries to
mount root.  In other words, /boot/loader starts and
as I understand it, that comes after the bootstrap
code.  But yet I suspect the "bsdlabel -B" command
caused my trouble because it's the only thing that
changed.

I've booted using the 5.4 IS0 CD and selected fixit
from the sysinstall program.  Using fdisk to check
/dev/da0 I see all 4 slices marked as "UNUSED".
However on /dev/da1 that was fdisked the same, the
first slice has information.

At the fixit prompt, I can mount /dev/da0 and see all
my data.  Is there a way to use fdisk from the command
line to restore slice 1 without losing all my data?
What would be the correct syntax?  Am I on the right
track?

Any help appreciated!

Please cc me on all replies as I'm not getting list
mail since my system is down.

Thanks,

Drew