Mysql40-server installation problem

Jacob S stormspotter at 6Texans.net
Sat Jul 23 12:00:40 GMT 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:07:56 -0500
Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu> wrote:

> --On July 22, 2005 3:35:40 PM -0500 Jacob S <stormspotter at 6Texans.net>
>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I'm having some trouble getting mysql installed on a FreeBSD 5.4
> > server. When I cd to /usr/ports/databases/mysql40-server and run
> > "make install", I get the following error:
> >
> > checking for gcc... cc
> > checking for C compiler default output file name... Abort trap (core
> > dumped) configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
> > See `config.log' for more details.
> > ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
> > Please report the problem to ale at FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
> > the
> > "/usr/ports/databases/mysql40-server/work/mysql-4.0.25/config.log"
> > including the output of the failure of your make command. Also, it
> > might be a good idea to provide an overview of all packages
> > installed on your system (e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > You can see the full config.log at
> > http://www.6texans.net/codesamples/config.log and the list of
> > packages installed on the server is available at
> > http://www.6texans.net/codesamples/pkg_log.txt .
> >
> > I've googled the problem but can't seem to find it. Make buildworld
> > and make buildkernel have worked, so I don't know why the make
> > install shouldn't for mysql40-server. Does anyone have any hints?
> >
> I had no problem building mysql40-server on FBSD 5.4.  Did you cvsup
> your  ports before attempting the install?  If not, you should do that
> first.

I did a full make buildworld and make buildkernel this past Tuesday and
everything worked great. Just to make sure though, I did a cvsup
yesterday to see if it would fix the problem as well. Still no go.

I've also since found out that trying to install *any* port fails with a
similar error. The key seems to be this part: "configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables". This machine has cPanel on it, so I
thought maybe the compiler had been turned off in WHM, but playing with
those settings didn't change anything, either.

Any more tips or suggestions?

TIA,
Jacob