aaaargghh.. sendmail again

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Sat Jul 23 03:16:35 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 19:46, Julian Elischer wrote:
> N machines on a "ficticious net  "fred.com" (not the real name).
>
> neet to get email out to the real world. via connected server
> mailgate.real.domain. (ficticious name)
>
> They pass it forward to a server on their net "server.ficticious.net"
> which uses the "Smarthost" option in Sendmail to
> forward them on to mailgate.real.domain,
> however mailgaet will not accept the mail unless the "sender"
> resolves to something real. I have no control over that machine.
>
> I am trying to alter the sendmail config on server.ficticious.net
> so that it rewrites the sender (both envelope and header)
> to be from mumble at registered.domain.
>
> the sendmail m4 config file now has:
>
> divert(0)
> VERSIONID(`$FreeBSD: src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc,v 1.10.2.17 2002/11/14
> 03:21:18 keramida Exp $')
> OSTYPE(freebsd4)
> DOMAIN(generic)
>
> FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
> FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
> FEATURE(local_lmtp)
> FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
> FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')
> FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o /etc/mail/senders.db')
>
> FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)
> FEATURE(local_no_masquerade)
> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
>
> define(`SMART_HOST', `mailgate.vicor-nb.com')
>
> MASQUERADE_AS(`registered.domain')
> MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`ficticious.net')
> MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`server.ficticious.net')
>
> where /etc/mail/senders.db
> contains: the 'has' version of:
>
> root    jre at registered.domain
> root at server.ficticious.net      jre2 at registered.domain
>

> So, by 2 different methods I'm trying to get the mail to say its coming
> from registered.domain but it isn't doing it, leaving it as comig from
> server.ficticious.net
>

> is there a trick to this?

Why not run BIND on mailgate and set /etc/resolv.conf to use nameserver
localhost, and named.conf to use any required forwarders?

This way you can monkey with the local DNS config and not have to do anything
special with sendmail.

Or ... maybe the problem is really over my head, and I just can't accept the
fact :)

lane