Can't Mount Root

Ima Camper ima_camper at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 02:37:13 GMT 2005

--- Ima Camper <ima_camper at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
>
> > Ima Camper wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> > > da0 is my boot disk and contains /.  However
> when
> > > configured the disk using sysinstall during
> > > installation, I set it up as "dangerously
> > dedicated".
> > > Now I wonder if my problem is that I should have
> > used
> > > "bsdlabel -B /dev/da0" instead of "da0s1a" when
> > > attempting to install boot blocks?
> >
> > I suspect your device name ought to be /dev/da0a.
> > If you are at the boot prompt, what happens if you
> > enter a "?"...?
>
> Entering a "?" or anything else so far results in
> this:
>
> mountroot> ufs:/dev/da0a
> panic: Root mount failed, startup aborted.
> cpuid = 0
> boot() called on cpu#0
> Uptime: 1h59m17s
>
> > Anyway, if you tell it the right place, and your
> > fstab is OK, you ought to boot
> > into the system as normal, from which point you
> can
> > re-run bsdlabel with the
> > right device name.
> >
> > Otherwise, boot off of an install CD, and run the
> > command from a shell.  You
> > can also begin a custom install and exit after
> wrws;
> > g just a new boot block
> > via sysinstall, too.
>
> Thanks for the ideas.  I will try more when I get
> home.  All I have available now is a serial console
> (that sometimes is at 115200 baud and sometimes at
> 9600 baud) so I can't try anything other than
> various
> iterations of root devices.

OK, now I'm home and can boot from the 5.4-RELEASE
disk 1 ISO and get to a fixit prompt.  I can mount
/dev/da0 on /mnt and see all my data.  Does anyone
have any idea what the right command might be to
restore my / drive so it can be mounted?

I'm leaving on a vacation tomorrow and would really
like to get this system up so I can post pictures and
such to my web page while I'm gone.  I'd appreciate
any assistance as I really don't want to have to
rebuild the system tonight.  I'm sure there's some
simple command that will restore access.

Thanks,

Drew