Vinum Bootstrap Help

Ben Craig benc at cinemagine.com
Fri Jul 22 22:51:47 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I've been trying to get a bootstrapped vinum volume up and running on a 5.4
release system (generic kernel, minimal install), based this How-to:

http://devel.reinikainen.net/docs/how-to/Vinum/

But I've managed to run into a problem that no amount of Googling, reading
the archive of this list, or reading the manual seems help me get by.

Basically, I have Vinum configured fine and can successfully run:

vinum > create -f /etc/vinum.conf

The Vinum volume is all fine and a vinum > list shows no problems.  I can
also successfully do a fsck on each of the mounts, which are:

/
/home
/tmp
/var

However, it appears that the vinum config isn't being saved, as rebooting
the machine can't find the vinum root partition, and after manually booting
to the pre-vinum root (ufs:ad0s1a) running vinum > list shows no volume
information.

During the reboot, vinum appears to load ok, but it can't find the root (as
shown by the last bit of the dmesg):

vinum: loaded
vinum: no drives found
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/vinum/root
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

The relevant config files look like this:

/etc/fstab

#Device                Mountpoint   FStype    Options    Dump    Pass#
/dev/vinum/swap    none            swap       sw            0            0
/dev/vinum/root      /                    ufs        rw               1
1
/dev/vinum/home    /home            ufs        rw                2         2
/dev/vinum/tmp      /tmp                ufs       rw                2
2
/dev/vinum/var       /var                 ufs        rw                2
2
/dev/acd0             /cdrom            cd9660  ro,noauto      0        0

/boot/loader.conf

vinum_load="YES"
vinum.autostart="YES"

Any suggestions as to how to sort this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ben Craig.