undelete in FreeBSD?

Glenn Sieb ges+lists at wingfoot.org
Fri Jul 22 20:12:44 GMT 2005

Nelis Lamprecht said the following on 7/21/2005 5:13 AM:

>On 7/21/05, Xu Qiang <Qiang.Xu at fujixerox.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi, all:
>>
>>I mis-deleted /usr/local/bin directory in my FreeBSD. How can I restore it?
>>

>There isn't a way to restore unless you have a backup. However, most
>of the binary files in /usr/local/bin are from packages/ports you have
>installed on your system. So you may be able to get away with using
>portupgrade(/usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade) to re-install those
>packages and therefore "restoring" some if not all of /usr/local/bin.
>Do a portupgrade -f -a which forces portupgrade to re-install all
>packages/ports you have currently installed.

Nelis,

First I think he might have to go re-install portupgrade.

Xu--as root, perform the following steps:

cd /tmp
tar cvf etc.tar /usr/local/etc/
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
make install && make clean
portupgrade -farRx bsdpan-

This will force reinstallation of all your ports. This will take *forever*.

And, just in case, we've tarred up your /usr/local/etc directory so you
have a backup in /tmp!

Good luck!!
Best,
--Glenn

          ~Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759