Iomega REV drive, FreeBSD 4.11

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jul 22 02:34:12 GMT 2005

I'm running FreeBSD 4.11.  I last updated from STABLE in January:

FreeBSD bogodyn.org 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0: Sat Jan 22 13:10:32 MST 2005     russo at bogodyn.org:/users2/obj/usr/src/sys/BOGODYN  i386

I just purchased an external SCSI Iomga REV 35MB removable medium drive.  I
took the chance that since it was a SCSI device it would Just Work, since that
has been my experience most of the time with SCSI devices and BSD.  It doesn't.

When I attach the device and camcontrol rescan all, I get this in the
/var/log/messages:

Jul 21 19:22:52 bogodyn /kernel: cd1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
Jul 21 19:22:52 bogodyn /kernel: cd1: <Iomega RRD 84.B> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-4
device
Jul 21 19:22:52 bogodyn /kernel: cd1: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 14
)
Jul 21 19:22:52 bogodyn /kernel: cd1: cd present [17090880 x 2048 byte records]

That is, the drive is detected, but as a removable CDROM, not a direct access
device.  Does anyone have one of these things, and has anyone gotten it to
work?  Would updating to a more recent 4.11-STABLE be likely to get it right?
I can't find anything in any of the FreeBSD-Questions archives that mentions
this drive except for one from December, where someone asked if it worked and
never got answered on-list.

Pity to have such an expensive paperweight right now.  Can anyone help?
Does this thing work in FreeBSD 5.x?  I have been avoiding upgrading to that.
Ironically, getting the REV drive was part of a plan to start backing up my
stuff so I could wipe the drive and install 5.x on a clean disk instead of
having to deal with cleaning up 4.x mess --- I keep finding bits of cruft
from the time I upgraded from 2.x...

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster