nForce3 SMB and Power Management

João Carlos Mendes Luis jonny at jonny.eng.br
Thu Jul 21 14:21:20 GMT 2005

Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> João Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny at jonny.eng.br> writes:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>     Does FreeBSD 5-stable support nForce3 power management?  I mean, can I measure fan speeds, power voltage, etc?  I
>>     did try using nfpm, but it did not work.
>

> Well, I can measure those things (nForce 3 250 Gb on Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939),
> but some of the voltages vary way too much to believe and my CPU temperature
> is seemingly random numbers. (My CPU temp is often way low or way high in
> BIOS, but often reasonable and not varying.)  One fan speed looks right,
> while other fan readings can show a value when there is no other fan.
>
> I've tried lmmon, mbmon, healthd, and maybe one other I forget and they
> only detect the ISA interface and though I've put a dozen related devices
> in the KERNCONF, I've never seen a /dev/smb* device show up.

Maybe you MoBo has some other Power Manager other than nForce3.  I did
try mbmon, and even in ISA mode it cannot find any device:

gaia::root ~ [647] mbmon -I
No ISA-IO HWM available!!
InitMBInfo: Unknown error: 0
gaia::root ~ [648]

 From pciconf:

none0 at pci0:1:1: class=0x0c0500 card=0x813f1043 chip=0x00e410de rev=0xa1
hdr=0x00
     vendor   = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
     device   = 'nForce PCI SMB Controller'
     class    = serial bus