Demon license?

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Wed Jul 20 14:06:04 GMT 2005

"Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> [...]

I think it's a reasonable idea, that a person not knowing BSD might
come to the conclusion, that Beastie is a small nice looking devil.

I guess I did it myself, but I don't remember.

Beastie looks cute, that's good enough for me. I couldn't care less,
if he's just looking like a devil or if he's supposed to be one.

> Because that is the converse of what Greg is saying.
>
> Greg took my meaning as Beastie=devil, not  "devil-looking-image could be
> drawn and associated with FreeBSD by anyone"
>
> I realize that the idea I was attempting to convey was more complex and
> deeper than a 2 second sound bite.  Please carefully reread the thread
> and
> I think you will understand it better.  When I used the word "devil" in
> the sentence I was meaning a graphical drawing of a red being with horns
> and a tail, and that should have been apparent.  I was not meaning the
> Catholic religious interpretation of the word "devil" meaning Satan.

I got that.

> It is a sad commentary on the power of the religious conservative
> movement that you can't even use the word "devil" to mean anything
> other than "Satan" in a sentence anymore.
>
> Greg objects to the term "devil" in association with Beastie because
> he knows that too many stupid people cannot make this distinction
> anymore, and it's safer to simply not use the word "devil" anywhere
> near FreeBSD or Beastie so as to avoid these stupid people from
> claiming FreeBSD is a satanic operating system.

And this as well.

> I disagree with this because I will always choose to fight against
> ignorance rather than just accept it and make up some politically
> correct mealymouthed excuse.  Sure, some stupid people cannot be
> educated into understanding that the Beastie image isn't an image
> of a devil, because they believe that the only possible interpretation
> of the word "devil" is Satan.  I would rather work to educate them,
> like I'm working to educate you, that not all uses of "devil" are
> religious.  If you or they cannot accept this, then go to Hell. ;-)

I have no problem accepting it, however I think I can differentiate
between devil (the evil fallen angel) and devil (the outfit), even if
I didn't make this clear in the other mail.

What's more important, I wouldn't care I the core team decided
to use the first meaning. I'm not a big fan of political correctness myself.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/