1 byte more?

Mac Mason mac at cs.hmc.edu
Wed Jul 20 05:30:35 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 01:21:10PM +0800, Xu Qiang wrote:
> I used xemacs to hex edit that file, to find a newline character (0x0a) is
> added to the txt file, even though I didn't touch the "Enter" key in my
> keyboard. Maybe vi is too aggressively helpful. :)

As I recall, the convention is than UNIX text files should always end with a
newline character. I can certainly envision situations where you might not
want to have the extra \n, but it makes intuitive sense for it to be there:
having the first half of a line in one file and the second half in another
file feels very strange to me...

    --Mac