storing make options / interactive configuration

Rob Paxon rpaxon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 02:43:28 GMT 2005

Hi guys,

I've decided to store my make options in Makefile.local files in the
various port directories. From what I gather this seems to be the
easiest method. At any rate, when I go to make a port (or upgrade via
portupgrade), the ports that have "interactive options" menus still
show such the menu. Worse yet, the options checked are the defaults.

I wonder the following:

1.) Does the fact it shows the default options mean it isn't
recognizing my options, or are the options read after the menu is
through (in which case I can just click "cancel").

2.) Is there a way to have this menu not show up through either make
install or portupgrade?

3.) Where do you guys prefer to store your make options? I've read
using 'pkgtools.conf', but assume this doesn't effect 'make install',
only portupgrade et al.

4.) In what order of precedence are saved options used? Particularly
those saved in "/var/db/ports", which only seem to be saved for a very
small amount of ports (it seems perhaps even only those with
interactive menus). The others would be make.conf, Makefile.local, and
pkgtools.conf.

Thanks in advance. I know I asked a lot, but I don't expect someone to
jump in and answer everything. Searching has only brought me to the
information I seek clarification on.