Some sort of filter based filesystem

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein-freebsd-questions at theloosingend.net
Tue Jul 19 22:51:53 GMT 2005

* Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein-freebsd-questions at theloosingend.net> writes:
>  > What would be nice, is some kind of nullfs-like read only filesystem
>  > that would send all files through a configurable filter when opened.
>  > That way I could put all my music in FLAC format on hdd, and then,
>  > when I wanted to transfer some tracks to my portable player, I could
>  > grab the files from the ogg-directory. Or when I wanted to burn to
>  > CD-A, I could grab 'em from the wav-dir.

* Lowell Gilbert [2005-07-19 12:18 -0400]
>  It's a clever idea, but not really very useful; usually a virtual
>  filesystem approach is good when you can generate the data as needed.
>  For something like this, you would need to pregenerate the various
>  forms anyway, so you wouldn't save disk space.

Why would the various forms need to be pre-generated?

I can easily imagine some mechanism where my flac files are filtered
through a flac decoder and into a vorbis encoder on-the-fly.
The same goes for iconv conversion, image processing, etc.

In fact, this is the sole purpose of my suggestion.