`Content-Transfer-Encoding' & SendMail

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jul 19 14:16:11 GMT 2005

Gerard Seibert wrote:
[ ...relaying email via your ISP... ]

> I do not want to use that encoding specifically at all times. Even when
> set within my mail program for something else, such as 8-bit, it is
> still converted to the above format.
>
> What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Nothing, really.  Any MTA along the delivery path is allowed to change the
encoding to quoted-printable, and many MTA's will do so even if the other side
advertizes the 8BITMIME ESMTP extension.

You can avoid seeing that header if you send mail that does not contain
non-printable characters, or if the receiving MTA converts the mail back to an
8-bit format.

--
-Chuck